Friday, August 23, 2013

Blinded By The Light

Ah yes...that lovely glare when driving at night when someone approaches you.  I almost have to look away sometimes!   I've noticed that I feel changes happening with my vision.   I happen to have one eye that sees well up close and one that sees better far away...and have glasses to accommodate that, and I've been fine. Lately however,  I have been feeling I've been rubbing my eyes more, especially when reading or on computer a lot.   The last time I had my eyes checked the doc asked if I was having any issues reading.  I told him I seem to have to 're-adjust' after reading for a while, like 'refocusing'.   I was told since I was 'getting older' there may be changes happening that are common when reading etc.
This was my immediate reaction to that!

Lol, I think I held my tongue at the time, but I wasn't pleased.  However I do know I've had issues with night vision and feeling comfortable when driving when totally dark - mainly when I'm in new surroundings.  And if reading a lot (which I do!) I do notice some blinking and need for rubbing.  Sigh.  Yes I will go back in for my next eye test soon. I am also going to do a little work on my own.  I'm reading up a bit on the basic nutrients for eyes and I know what helps.  Vitamin A, most folks know helps with vision.  So I searched foods high in Vit A - I had NO idea that 1 medium carrot has a little over 10,000 IUs of Vitamin A!  Darn!  I'm not a fan of carrots...don't hate them but don't love them either.  So I was reading a basic list of foods that are high in Vitamin A - and Cantaloupe is one of them.  FUNNY that I've been eating a lot of cantaloupe in past few weeks and I don't think I've been rubbing my eyes as much!  Sheesh....time to start paying attention!  And if it helps my night vision too, I'll be laughing over
here! 

List of healthy food sources of Vitamin A - you can see it's plentiful:

Sweet Potato - 1 Medium - 22,000 IU (luckily a fav of mine)
Butternut Squash - 1cup  - 22,000 IU
Kale - 1 cup  - 10,000
Carrots - 1 Medium - 10,000 IU
Cantaloupe - 1/8 wedge - 5900 (a lot for 1 wedge!)  I eat half easily at once lol
Turnip Greens - 1 cup 6300
Mustard Greens-1 cup - 5800
Spinach - 1 cup -2500
Mango - 1 cup - 1700

I will be experimenting on myself  with eating more of these foods, and I'm also starting  to use my Herbal Eyewash as well.  I remember my dad using it many years ago to just 'try' it.  And he said over time he could read the racing results at the Horse Races from the stands without his glasses!  He was pretty pleased with himself.

So!  My point here is that more often than not if something comes up that doesn't please me...you can be sure I will do a little research and figure out options! More of what I want instead of what I don't.   I've become very self reliant on myself, natural health and how my own thoughts can help me improve ANY situation.  This instance is no different.  I will be sure to report how things go in near future.  I'm certainly not against getting an updated prescription for my glasses, but if I can delay it or make it minimal, then I'm going to do it! 



No comments: